Friday, June 29, 2007

Erpen to Be Traded for Vanney?

According to the Washington Post, there is a possibility Facundo Erpen will be traded for USMNT veteran Greg Vanney.

I have two thoughts about this:

  1. Erpen is not the problem on the defense, a lack of bodies is. And I'm not sure a straight up swap makes United better. If this is the reason, I'm not too excited.
  2. Maybe this is a foreign roster spot thing and United has a player they want to add when rosters open up later this summer. Emilio, Fred, Gomez and Erpen are the senior team foreign players, I believe. If Erpen is moved, maybe United signs an international defender. If this is the reasoning, I am all for it.

EDIT: Erpen doesn't currently count as a senior team international because he is younger than 25. However, he would count as such next season and one of the internationals would need to be moved as United is at the limit.

No comments: