Friday, July 13, 2007

United Knocked Out of US Open Cup

I know I am late to the party commenting on this, but here is my take:
  1. I hate artificial fields. It's a different game when you play on them. The turf at Toronto's stadium isn't bad, but seriously, is it too hard to require all outdoor fields to be grass to play in MLS and in major US tournaments?
  2. I'm not sure I understand why this game was awarded to the lesser rated team. If I remember right, if the previous round's result had been reversed, United would have hosted the game. I'm not saying home field determined the result, but one of these teams just flew back from Houston and then had to bus it north to Pennsylvania. Which brings me to...
  3. If United is only going to start two of their top eleven, screw it and withdraw. I hate the fact that DC lost this game playing a bunch of scrubs. If they lost with the top lineup, fine. What a sour taste this leaves.

1 comment:

Charles said...

I concur about artificial fields. Fifa should add it to the laws of the games that professional matches are played on grass. It's just embarrassing watching a match being played on a gridiron like in Salt Lake.
I believe England will be playing on an artificial surface when it travels to Russia for its next EURO qualifier.
Maintaining grass may be more difficult in cold climates, but in an age of heated fields and such it shouldn't be a problem for professional associations.