Friday, November 09, 2007

Who Will Go?

With the San Jose Earthquakes reentering the league, there will be a dispersal draft. Each current MLS team will lose a player while being able to protect their top eleven. This got me thinking, who would I protect and why? So, here is my list of the eleven players I would protect, assuming all are under contract and are returning for next season. And I don't know what the rules are for developmental players, so I will assume they are available.

Luciano Emilio
Fred
Christian Gomez
Ben Olsen
Clyde Simms
Bryan Namoff
Troy Perkins
Marc Burch
Devon McTavish
Bobby Boswell
Justin Moose

So who does that leave unprotected?

Jamie Moreno
Greg Vanney
Rod Dyachenko
Josh Gros
Jamil Walker
Jay Nolly
Domenic Mediate
Guy-Roland Kpene
Stephen deRoux
Jeff Carroll
Brian Carroll
Nicholas Addlery
Bryan Arguez
Shawn Crowe
And a few other players you've never heard of who are on United's 40 man roster.

So the obvious question: How can DC leave Moreno unprotected? Honestly, I don't think San Jose would take him. Too injury prone, too old, too expensive. He is great for United and I hope he can play for a few more years. But, San Jose needs to be looking three to five years down the road and Jamie simply won't be playing that long. So who do I think San Jose would pick from this list? Rod Dyachenko. Who do I want them to pick? Brian Carroll. We'll see what happens.

I'll update the list as I learn more about the specifics of the rules.

1 comment:

Martin Shatzer said...

I like your list, except that I would substitute Dyachenko for Moose. If they protect Dyachenko then I think San Jose will grant your wish and take Brian Carroll instead. My hope is that they take Kpene.